Information for Authors and Illustrators
Herald Press is the book division of MennoMedia. We accept manuscripts from capable and dedicated authors as we strive to equip the church to experience and share the gospel of Jesus Christ from an Anabaptist perspective.
As a religious publisher, Herald Press provides books honest in presentation, clear in thought, stimulating in content, and leading to the spiritual growth and welfare of the reader. We invite book proposals from Christian authors in the areas of:
- Peace, justice, and other social issues
- Church life and missions
- Biblical studies, theology, and ethics
- Pastoral and lay leadership resources
- Christian living, meditations, and personal experience
- Church history and culture
- Mennonite and Amish life and thought
- Academic titles relating to Anabaptist themes
- Children and youth, especially books focused on peace and justice
- Cookbooks with a faith perspective
Authors should review the Author's Guide and the MennoMedia supplement to the Chicago Manual of Style.
Terms and Procedures for Submissions
When submitting a book proposal, please follow these guidelines:
- Completed author form, stating the significance of the book and describing your target audience
- One-page summary of the book
- Table of contents and one-or-two sentence summary of each chapter
- Two of the book’s chapters; include the first chapter and one additional chapter
- Name of Bible version used (such as NRSV)
- Résumé or brief statement of author’s educational, publishing, religious, professional, and community involvements
- If submitting hard copies, include a self-addressed stamped envelope for return of your material
Send electronic or hard copy submissions to:Dorothy Hartman
1251 Virginia Avenue
Harrisonburg, VA 22802-2434
We work to respond to all submissions within six months. If your proposal has potential for Herald Press, a finished manuscript will be requested. Because of the volume of manuscripts we receive, we are unable to comment in detail on all manuscripts.
Herald Press releases a wide variety of new books each year for adults, young people, and children. We sometimes commission cover art appropriate to the specific nature of a book. Usually we need a full-color cover illustration that includes people, rendered in the medium of the artist’s choice. Occasionally we commission black and white illustrations for use inside a book. We tend toward realistic rather than abstract treatments.
We welcome submissions of your work for our review. Please send samples we can keep on file. Samples may include tear sheets, photocopies (both black-and-white and color), slides, photographs, and original art. All must fit in an 8 1/2 x 11 file folder. Include a cover letter and short résumé with your submission. If you want a reply regarding our interest in your work, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
Send all submissions to:Merrill Miller
1251 Virginia Ave.
Harrisonburg, VA 22802-2434